Friday, December 09, 2005

The Perfect Really Is the Enemy of the Good

In comments a few days ago, Aiden (who is apparently running for the Marijuana Party in Peterborough) wrote:
I was disappointed that the NDP supported the 'discriminalization bill'. As former Liberal Justice minister Martin Cauchon said: "We're not decriminalizing marijuana, to be technical, it will remain a criminal offense. What we are putting in place are alternative penalties, in using the Contraventions Act"

Another Liberal Paddy Torsney commented: "We think, actually, with what we're proposing a person with a small amount will be more likely to suffer a consequence for breaking the law."

This bill will simply lead to the further criminalization of marijuana users and further entrench prohibition and its war on the Canadian people. It does not grant amensty to the 1.5 million Canadians arested for possesion of cannabis. And the bill doubles the sentences of peaceful marijuana gardeners.
I read that and thought to myself, "surely that can't be true!" But boy, C-17 was a lot more noxious than I believed. From the government of Canada:

# of PlantsPenalty
1-3$250-$500 fine
4-2518 mo - 5yr in prison
26-50Up to 10 yrs!
>50Up to 14 yrs!


Boy, I foolishly thought that decriminalization might actually mean something close to what it sounds like. Stupid me, I guess. Even if it never actually happened, the idea 14 years in prison for growing a harmless drug is disgusting. I'm suddenly much happier this election happened - this bill deserved to die.

Note that the Liberals have introduced decriminalization - what, twice? Three times? - and have refused to actually bring it to a vote. This should tell you all you need about Liberal governance, and the cowardice of Paul Martin.

I think it's funny that Aiden opposes the NDP, when a somewhat more prominent pro-legalization advocate said yesterday:
[Marc] Emery said outside court that he'd be campaigning for the NDP after former MP Svend Robinson asked for his support when the politician was seeking the nomination for Vancouver Centre.

"I'm fully endorsing the NDP in the federal election and I think that's the best thing our people can do is support the New Democratic Party in British Columbia for the federal election so I plan to actively do that," Emery said.
Meaning no offense to Aiden, this is why I don't subscribe to the whole protest vote thing. I agree with the NDP on most issues, and I think they're right on this issue broadly, even if they're supporting a crappy bill. Moreover, the NDP agrees that C-17 was awful, and was on the record supporting ammendments. You want pot actually legalized? Your only hope in the near term if for the NDP and the Bloc to have enough votes for that to happen. The Liberals and Tories won't do it, simple as that.

Oh, and one last thing: Aiden gets docked 10 points for using the phrase "Information Superhighway" on his campaign blog. Dude, it's 2005. Still, good luck to him and Marijuana Party generally. I won't be voting for them, but they get points for trying to keep this issue alive.

No comments: