Friday, January 06, 2006

Five Weird Things About Me

Umm... does it have to be things I think are weird, or things I'm informed are weird about me?

Thanks to Skippy, I need to think of 5 things about myself that are weird. Hmmm...

1) Despite my being of legal age at the time, my consumption of alcohol dropped - dramatically - when I left for University. I may have drank 3 pints in all of first year.

2) I used to have a habit of starting a train of thought, jumping a track or two, then starting a conversation with someone as if they'd followed my own internal train of thought. A classic example that my girlfriend still uses to make fun of me: I was leaving her house and putting my shoes on, when I noticed a pair of wooden shoes by the door. This sparked the following mental process: Wooden shoes - like the french sabots - also a sabot: a type of cannon round - used by Gerald Bull in his pioneering work on cannon-launched rockets. This all flashed through my brain relatively quickly (okay, maybe not the words "pioneering work"), at which point, out of nowhere (to her), I started talking to my girlfriend about Gerald Bull. She was a bit confused, and she still giggles a bit every time she hears the word "sabot" or "sabotage."

I'm not sure if I still do this or not.

3) Because of a nickname I acquired in grade 5, I have the encyclopedia entry for Jomo Kenyatta tacked up on my wall. I have for years, and have no intention of throwing it out, despite having (mostly) left the nickname behind me in Toronto.

4) I seem to have lost weight over the holidays.

5) Somewhere, someone has a collection of VHS tapes that I put together in the late 1990s with every single episode of Babylon 5 on them. The effort involved in making a complete set of Babylon 5 tapes was non-trivial, and probably hurt my marks in high school. I now own all of the same episodes on DVD. I was able to remember that URL for the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5, despite having not visited the site in many years. So, in case you'd missed it, I'm a giant, enormous, Earth-shatteringly nerdy person. Fortunately, I'm not alone. See Greg, #s 4 and 5.

Bonus weirdness: One of my acquaintances at school was recently surprised by my nerdiness. He was apparently labouring under the delusion that I was much hipper than I in fact am. Specifically, he found it hard to believe that someone would read about intellectual property rights for their own amusement.

Ahem. I tag Angelica, Vicki, Flocons, Celestial Speedster, and Adam.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Well its been awhile since I leafed through the DSM-4, but I'm pretty sure #2 is used as a method for diagnosing schitzophrenia and other affective disorders.

As a matter of fact, I'm sure there is a whole section in the SADS (Schedule for Affective Disorders) Test protocol around this....


Hmmmm, that could explain a few thing.

;)