Monday, September 26, 2005

I Was Cool Before It Was Cool

Okay, I'm just saying that I was a blogger who liked Joss Whedon's Firefly well before it became cool to.

But I turn around, and wherever I look Bloggers are prostituting their dignity for free movie tickets to Serenity. Now, if it were possible for me to see Serenity on my own, I might consider a similar whore-for-tix scheme. But I can't - Vicki and several other friends would beat me to death if I saw it without them.

On the other hand, I truly hope that Serenity does well, so consider this a less whorish, more genuine plea: Please, please go see Serenity if you want to see something that, unlike so much this last summer, doesn't suck. Can I guarantee you'll like it? No. But it'll almost certainly be worth the $10 for admission. As Bob Harris wrote:
You laugh, you cry, you get scared. The whole deal. Eat popcorn and enjoy. It's Joss Whedon, people. The guy can write in three-emotion layers in the middle of chase scenes. If he felt like it, he could make you feel ennui, schadenfreude, and hyggelig, all while something enormous blows up.

The writing is the Joss level of brilliant you'd figure, and his direction is eye-popping and full of surprises. There's even some stuff I think readers of this site will particularly dig.

It's a world. And the world is very cool. Most fun I've had at a movie this year.
I tried to dig up a definition of "hyggelig", and while I was able to confirm it's existence, I swear this is a danish word that can't translate to english. Damn you, Denmark!

Even if you're not a particularly big SF fan, I'd reccomend (almost*) anything by Joss Whedon. A writer that's still interested in anachronisms like "characters" and "narrative" is a rare find in the film industry these days.

*Alien: Resurrection and the original Buffy movie not included.

No comments: