Monday, April 20, 2009

So that's why he called it "Operation Condor"

Jackie Chan's opinion on Chinese democracy -- not the G&R CD:
Speaking at the Boao Forum in southern China, Chan said this: "I'm not sure if it is good to have freedom or not. I'm really confused now. If you are too free, you are like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

And this: "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we are not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."
In this, Chan shares the views of every man of property born before the 1940s or so. And the views of most men of property born before the 1960s, I'd wager. So I'm not particularly keen on finding some deeper meaning here. Rich man thinks the rabble should be kept down -- film at 11!

And if you don't get the reference in the post title, see here then here.

1 comment:

Flocons said...

I don't see the point in giving any extra weight to the social/political views of Jackie Chan, as this isn't his sphere of expertise.