Friday, November 21, 2008

Hillary to SecState

Confirmed.

Dunno what I think about this, really. Sen. Clinton will, I think, probably end up being a solid team player, and I certainly prefer her to some of the other names that were offered.

That said, I can't shake a feeling that this is problematic somehow. Clinton ran hard against Obama in part on the difference over negotiations with countries like Iran, and now she's going to have to execute the very policies she said were naive, etc. It's not just cosmetic: if Clinton believed they were bad policy ideas -- and I think that was sincere -- then what does she do when the President asks her to go meet with Manouchehr Mottaki?

Also, word has it that Bill Richardson is going to Commerce, which some are seeing as a consolation prize but I think actually suits Richardson well.

No comments: