Monday, June 02, 2008

Inappropriate metaphor Olympics

Oh dear God. Some Clinton supporters are actually arguing that the decisions by the RBC on Saturday -- to allot each state half-votes because of their illegal primaries -- amounts to "worse than slavery". Because half a vote is less than 3/5 of a vote. And slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person. (Actually, there's such a thing as "punishment" for "breaking rules". Not that it's ever popular.)

There's so much, so deeply offensive about even writing that where other people can see it, that I didn't know where to start. An arcane procedural dispute totally internal to a political party is akin to a system that killed tens of millions, and reduced the survivors to things? The mind boggles at where to go on that.

Or, my mind boggles at where to go. My girlfriend, after I read that aloud to her, tried to one-up Clinton supporters: "This parking ticket is even worse than the time I had to stick a coathanger in my uterus for an abortion!"

Your own inappropriate similes in comments. Or tell me why I'm an awful person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"This 'B' on my history paper is so much like the Expulsion of the Acadians I can't begin to describe it!"

How's that?

Talking about this at table the other night we figured this 3/5 business would come up, it being such an obvious connection. At the time we thought it was a (kind of) valid criticism of the R&B (rhythm and blues) committee's decision, but on second thought, you're right (kind of).

Florida got a raw deal, I think, since it wasn't, as I understand it, the will of the Florida Democrats to hold their primary early, they were forced into it by the majority of Republicans in the State Legislature, right? I always thought the national party should have given their Florida brothers and sisters a little more slack there: Acknowledge the rat-fucking from the other side of the aisle but refuse to let it count.