Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Imported Chinese gluten doesn't kill pets, I kill pets

I'm now fully licensed to drive in the province of Ontario. Be warned.

Thinking about driving recently has led me to wonder why in God's name you'd choose to own a car in Toronto. Certainly -- having both owned a car and not owned a car at various points in the last few years -- I can say that (for me) it was far more disruptive to adjust my life to owning a car than the adjustments I make to not own a car (biking, transit, etc.) Worrying about gas and insurance costs alone was enough to make me not want to keep the car I had.

So, in brief, the environmentalist/energy-nerd doesn't like cars. I know you're all shocked.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I'm going to REALLY watch my rearview mirror, and keep the dog in the backyard....

I am conflicted as a car lover and an environmentalist. I love a well designed car with aggressive style and road hugging abilities.

The marriage of mind to machine to road fires the pleasure centers better than anything else I know.

Taking the twisties over the Niagara Escarpment in a (borrowed) two door convertible was one of the greatest thrills in my life. Can't wait to get one of my own.

Hypocrite thy name is me....

That guy said...

I owned a car when I first moved to Toronto, but I got rid of it after a year because I never used it. Now, I use Autoshare when I need one.

celestialspeedster said...

Remember, if you join Autoshare, tell them I referred you so that I can get that $50 credit and you can get $50 off your application fee. Don't give it to Flocons!

Anonymous said...

Feh, anyone who brags about not owning a car in any major city is someone of the following catgories:

- one who mooches rides of their car-owning friends...
- actually tolerates the incompetence of the TTC
- is poor, or
- doesn't get out very much.