Thursday, May 17, 2007

I heart Al Gore. Squee.

May 22nd can't come soon enough. via Atrios, an excerpt:
I vividly remember a turning point in that Senate campaign when my opponent, a fine public servant named Victor Ashe who has since become a close friend, was narrowing the lead I had in the polls. After a detailed review of all the polling information and careful testing of potential TV commercials, the anticipated response from my opponent's campaign and the planned response to the response, my advisers made a recommendation and prediction that surprised me with its specificity: "If you run this ad at this many 'points' [a measure of the size of the advertising buy], and if Ashe responds as we anticipate, and then we purchase this many points to air our response to his response, the net result after three weeks will be an increase of 8.5% in your lead in the polls."

I authorized the plan and was astonished when three weeks later my lead had increased by exactly 8.5%.
Though pleased, of course, for my own campaign, I had a sense of foreboding for what this revealed about our democracy. Clearly, at least to some degree, the "consent of the governed" was becoming a commodity to be purchased by the highest bidder. To the extent that money and the clever use of electronic mass media could be used to manipulate the outcome of elections, the role of reason began to diminish.
Al Gore's life gives me hope that I too, as a bookish, dull, wooden public speaker could rise to the second-highest office in public life, only to lose my life's most important contest to an arrogant fucking idiot. On the plus side, maybe they'll give me an Oscar, too.

1 comment:

Neil Sinhababu said...

I'm sorry to say that my response to the anecdote was "Who are those badass consultants and how can I get them to do more campaigns?"