Thursday, June 29, 2006

Suck it Amazon

It's hardly a typical result, but I'd just like to give a shout-out to the Toronto Public Library system: I placed a hold on a book yesterday, and it was delivered to my home branch today, and is ready to pick up.

In general, I'm coming to love the public library system again. I used to work for a bookstore, which was far more convenient: Work was a library. And I always had first dibs (I did a lot of the unloading of boxes.) However, I cannot afford to buy hardcovers without my staff discount, so the library it is!

Damn inefficient government. Why don't they just let the market solve this problem?

I used to joke with customers who said to me that they didn't buy books - they used the library - that "those damn communists at the library" were going to put us out of business. It turns out that Canadian libraries purchase an immense amount of books from retailers. (I kind of figured they'd deal with publishers direct.)

Meanwhile, I'm #20-something in line for "The 1% Doctrine", and #120-something for "Cobra II". Gotta start reading!

No comments: