Monday, November 28, 2005

Progressive or Dipper?

Simon Pole graciously writes:
This is a great blog. John, you should join up with us at Progressive Bloggers. Your posts deserve to be read by many more people. We should see a huge surge in traffic for the election, and having you at Prog Blogs will help make sure the good guys win.
Aside from my own vanity, there's something that I'd like some advice on. I've considered signing up with the Progressive Bloggers before, and I'm uncertain. This may sound ridiculous, but I take my identification as an NDP voter and blogger seriously - well, at least as seriously as I take anything on this blog. There's something in me that rebels at the somewhat vaguer identity as a "progressive", even though I have no problem with that label. My problem specifically in this context has something to do with this blurb at ProgressiveBloggers.ca:
Progressive Bloggers is a group of Canadian bloggers who firmly believe that this great country needs to move forward, not backwards. Be they Liberal or liberal, New Democrats or democrats, Green voters or voters who want a green country, or even Red Tories searching for a home, these bloggers believe that Canadian politics should move in a progressive direction.
But here's the thing: I don't agree with Greens, or even leftish Liberals. I'd wish there were more Red Tories, but in any case I don't think people should vote Liberal, Green, or Tory for a very simple reason: I don't believe the Liberals or Tories will ever willingly pass policies I agree with, and I don't believe the Greens have the means to yet.

So I'm a dyed-in-the-wool NDP partisan. I may have common ground with Green policies, but I'm strongly opposed to people voting green if they could otherwise vote NDP. I don't have a lot of time for people who call themselves progressives but are unwilling to support the only progressive party in Parliament.

All the same, I am a progressive, and there's no law saying I have to give up my (entirely unofficial, and somewhat meaningless) Blogging Dipper link. And for reasons having nothing to do at all with my own ego (ahem), the additional readership would be more than welcome.

So, a request for advice from the audience - join up with the Progressives, despite my misgivings, or languish in principled obscurity?

Oh, and a side note: Simon's blog is very good, and his Political Science professor is an idiot. Sadly, not the only one credentialed to teach PoliSci, as I can attest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's true. You do have a great blog!

Whether or not you choose to join or stay independent, I'll be reading.

Robert McClelland said...

There's no harm in being on both blogrolls since many of the other dippers are.

By the way, I'm finally getting the Blogging Dippers up and running again. The same media outlet that is going to carry the Progressive Blogger's feed will carry the Blogging Dippers feed if it's available.

If you have any suggestions on what you'd like to see included on the site let me know via email or any comment on my site.