Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Bush Drinking?

I wasn't going to touch this, but Steve Gilliard makes a good point:
Let me say this before people start in: the National Enquirer has beaten more libel suits than most major newspapers. Their stuff is vetted by libel lawyers before it hits the stands. In fact, their accuracy is no worse than their MSM peers. Up until the 1970's, they ran alien stories, but then switched to celebrity coverage.

Why do I trust the NE? They pay their sources. So someone close to the WH got a big fat check for this, over $10K. And if they deny this or lie, the NE has a file on them. When dealing with gossip, this is quite effective. Now they may wind up paying the wrong people, but this is what they were told. Come on, if you ran the NE, would you risk a libel suit with your reputation?
I'll say this: I hope this isn't true. Not just because of the political and other implications, either - alcoholism can be a horrible thing to go through, for everyone around the addict as well as the addict themselves. So I'm genuinely concerned for Bush's health for once in my life. Anyway, the National Enquirer is reporting:
Faced with the biggest crisis of his political life, President Bush has hit the bottle again, The National Enquirer can reveal.

Bush, who said he quit drinking the morning after his 40th birthday, has started boozing amid the Katrina catastrophe.

Family sources have told how the 59-year-old president was caught by First Lady Laura downing a shot of booze at their family ranch in Crawford, Texas, when he learned of the hurricane disaster.
Like I said - I hope it isn't true. But if it is, Steve is exactly right - it's time to think about the 25th Ammendment, and removing Bush from office.

No comments: