Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Toshiba Introduces New Battery

God I'm a nerd (and screw you, Adam!) Toshiba introduces a new type of lithium battery, and I nearly wet myself.
TOKYO (AFP) - Leading Japanese electronics maker Toshiba said it has developed a light and thin prototype battery that recharges 80 percent of capacity in just a minute... It also has a long life, losing only one percent of capacity after 1,000 cycles of discharging and recharging and can operate at temperatures as low as minus 40 degrees Celsius (minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit), it said... "Initial applications will be in the automotive and industrial sectors," it said, adding that the technology may also be used as an alternative power source for hybrid gasoline-electric cars.
No word in this article about the actual energy density, but this is encouraging. I want my electric car!

No comments: