Friday, October 13, 2006

Whoo! Big Media Me, indeed!

It looks like it is me. Peggy seems to have gotten that quote from this Howard Kurtz piece:
Some online critics denounced CBS. A blogger at Dymaxion World wrote: "Grief makes people do, and say, stupid . . . things. But CBS is not grieving for anyone. What made them put this man on national television?"
Weird. I usually get a few dozen hits a day, tops. How did I become the poster boy for left-wing criticism of CBS? Or, to put it another way, what made Kurtz put this blogger in the national press? I've emailed Kurtz to ask how he found me, and emailed Noonan to confirm that I'm the blogger she's quoting. There's been no appreciable spike in my traffic, btw.

Both Peggy and Howie have redacted my use of the word "fucking", which is fair enough. But Peggy Noonan's whole argument basically amounts to misleadingly saying that I'm - and the left broadly - is calling for censorship of the right. My entire post was pretty short, and there was plenty of data in Kurtz' original WaPo article to come find the post with a Google search. (A Google search for "Dymaxion World" and the quoted text in the Kurtz article brings me up at #1.) There is, in short, no reason for Ms. Noonan to have not read the original source. As it is, she gets the quote wrong. From Noonan's piece:
"what made them put this man on television?"
My original sentence:
What made them put this man on national television?
Note the missing word. There's no indication in the web article that the word is missing. I suspect there's a specific reason why the word was dropped, for the same reason I put the word in that sentence originally. I'll have more to write about this later, but for now I'm going to go celebrate being named in the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal. Time to call mom!

3 comments:

Olaf said...

Wow,

Congrats... well deserved, but how did that happen?

Mike said...

Remember us little people when you are going tete a tete with O'Rielly on CNN...

Flocons said...

Congrats! Now you better lay low before they "accidentally" put you on a no-fly passenger list.