Tuesday, September 05, 2006

So... you disagree?

Apparently, when I wrote - not for the first time since he was elected - that Stephen Harper "is making this country worse every day he's Prime Minister", this translates in to Liberalese as "I love you, Stephen Harper! Let me have your babies!"

The idea, expressed in the amusingly-named Lobster Thermidor's post, that I represent "NDP bloggers" is laughable. I speak for myself, and if other people agree than bully for me. I associate myself with the NDP because they most closely match my views, but I certainly don't claim to represent them.

Something I left in LT's comment thread, and I think it deserves a wider discussion: What was the progressive argument for voting for Paul Martin on his own merits? The man spent most of a decade as one of the most conservative finance ministers in Canada's history, slashing spending and delivering tax cuts to the rich. As PM, he ran away from gay rights until the Supreme Court made it impossible: in their decision, the Supremes made it clear they didn't appreciate being used as political cover for a government that was so anxious about actually enforcing the promise of the Charter.

If the Liberals want progressives to vote for them, here's a wild idea: Run a progressive campaign. Believe me, most Canadians aren't wild about Jack, and I believe his recent statements about Afghanistan will hurt the party more than help. The Liberal party could - if they expressed even the slightest progressive belief - walk away with a huge chunk of the NDP's vote. You know, like they did in every election during the 1990s?

Instead of whinging about how unfair it is that Canadians insist in voting their conscience, why doesn't the Liberal party actually treat me with a modicum of respect?

3 comments:

berlynn said...

You said,

Believe me, most Canadians aren't wild about Jack, and I believe his recent statements about Afghanistan will hurt the party more than help.

As a peace activist and one who is not wild about Jack or the NDP or any of the mainstream parties, I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement. I think Jack shows great courage in making the statements he has about Afghanistan. It is not in our best interests to be there, nor is it in the best interests of the people of Afghanistan to be there. We should bring our troops home. As soon as possible

JimBobby said...

Whooee! JohnBoy, it looks t' me like that crabby feller jest wants t' blame all o' the Liberals' troublems on the DippyWips. Stoopid, sez I.

The Grits is their own worstest enemies. Their infightin' an' huge number o' "leadership hopefuls" is a good sign o' how well they'd do in gummint. Gettin' mixed up in the BushMan's war was the Grits' biggest screw up an' when it comes t' 'Ghanistan, the HarpoonTossers an' the GrittyBoys is sailin' along in the same yacht.

I reckon Happy Jack Laydown's 'bout the onliest choice fer peacenik Troodoughmaniac diplomacy-lovin' small-L liberal Canajuns. What I can't figger out is howcum there's still so many numbnutses supportin' them headuptheirass Liberals.

Yores trooly,
JimBobby

john said...

berlynn,

I haven't said anything about what I think we should be doing in Afghanistan, because I remain... well, ambivalent is all I can say for now.

My point was limited to a tactical observation - whatever polls say, I think the NDP will take a hit at the polls for Jack's stance.

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.