Thursday, September 28, 2006

A personal request

Something some readers might not know about me: The other half of my degree - the non-Political Science half - is in Mass Communications. Specifically, I spent most of my M.Comm time at University studying the economics of mass media, and the structure of the communications industry. I did almost no theoretical work, because I find Communications theory to be about as boring as any discipline invented by man. (Marshall McLuhan? Gag me with a spoon.)

Yet, whenever I write about the evils of current copyright law, inevitably someone assumes I'm just some ignorant guy in his basement who wants shit for free and doesn't understand how things work. It doesn't occur to people that a) I understand the costs of producing media quite well, thank you, or b) that I generally know what I'm talking about. I think I have a pretty consistent history on this blog of admitting a) when I don't know something, or b) when I turn out wrong.

Please, I welcome disagreement. I welcome debate. I don't assume everyone has a detailed knowledge of my academic history, but that's not required to address my arguments on their merits.

That is all.

No comments: