Monday, February 27, 2006

Some Movies I Saw on Reading Week

For all the hype, Brokeback Mountain was a disappointment. The acting and directing were great - surprisingly, in the case of the actors. I'm no fan of Gyllenhaal, and I thought he was definitely the junior partner in this movie. Heath Ledger really surprised me though. I may have to reevaluate 10 Things I Hate About You and A Knight's Tale.

The movie really suffered, I thought, from a poor screenplay. The directing and acting really did carry this film - hell, even Anne Hathaway was good - and I thought the lack of a strong narrative really brought the film down.

So far, I'm rooting for Good Night and Good Luck for Best Picture on Oscar night. But I haven't seen Crash yet. I'm torn on the Best Actor nod - Ledger really was impressive, but I can't decide whether or not I liked Strathairn in GN&GL more. Ledger arguably had the harder role, though.

The other movie I saw was The Matador, starring Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear. Not a great film in any sense of the word, but lots of fun. Probably the kind of film Hollywood would do well to make more of - no A-list stars, just a good, funny story well told.

However, it really blows me away that it costs $40 to bring a date to the movies these days. I mean, jesus fricking christ. I'm not made of popcorn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's been about ten years since I've bought food in a movie theatre. I know a lot of people consider it an essential part of the theatregoing experience, but having had a highschool job in a theatre and seeing the always-liquid Becel in its bleach-style plastic jugs, changing the giant sticky bags of pop syrup, and hefting around 50 pound bags of popcorn kernels made it somewhat less appealing. That and nothing they sell there is tasty enough to justify spending $10 on.

Tip for the next film date: bring your own snack to the local repertory cinema. $15-20 max for two, and you don't have to be subjected to someones blinding and seizure-inducing idea of what a theatre should be.