Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Moment for Television

So, aside from this blog, the main reason my assignments have been late this term has been a raft of excellent television shows. I've recently succumbed to the Battlestar Galactica plague, which cost me two days straight that could - nay, should - have been more profitably spent writing papers.

But I haven't seen a lot of other bloggers writing about the wonder that is Grey's Anatomy. So I'm going to. I stumbled upon this show at the beginning of the 2nd season, and unlike BSG that didn't leave me grasping for understanding like I'd just been released from Plato's cave.

Where to start? The cast is excellent, especially Ellen Pompeo and Sandra Oh. The writing is smart, funny, and snaps the way the West Wing used to. It's one of the few shows that I actually look forward to the next episode. I seem to be watching 24 and Lost more out of a sense of obligation than anything else these days.

The last two Sundays' worth of Grey's Anatomy were an excellent two-parter about a guy with a bomb accidentally embedded in his chest. The odd thing about the 2nd part was that it had a lot of the classic clichés of a medical drama - just short of the doctor screaming "don't you die on me, dammit!" But they pulled it off. In fact, it was one of the best hours of television I've watched this season.

Anyway, season 1 was just released on DVD, so I'll be getting that for myself soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watch Grey's Anatomy, but I like several other shows (Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Lost if it gets its mojo back) much more.

The thing that bugged me about the most recent episode (aside from the "now way in hell that's how they'd do that" contrivances) was: the bomb goes off -- CUT TO COMMERCIAL -- RETURN TO SHOW: everyone acts as if nothing happened.

What the heck? What happened to the bomb squad folks? Where's the reaction, the rest of the hospital jumping into action? (since, once the bomb had gone off, there's no longer a reason for everyone to be pouting in the lobby... But apparently that's what they did!) I cared about that bomb squad guy a lot more than either of the guys in surgery, but ... the writers obviously didn't.

john said...

Yeah, that was confusing. But I liked the moment where Derek was all "Where is she?" and the Chief's wife is the one to pick up that he meant Meredith, not Addison.