Monday, January 23, 2006

Election Day Is Here

The polls open in nine and a half hours, and I will be up voting early by necessity.

I won't be able to post much tomorrow, if at all, due to schedule constraints. I would only say that as much as Paul Martin doesn't deserve the next government, neither does Stephen Harper. I don't trust Harper and the Conservatives, and I think (as I've said before) Canada will be worse off with them in government.

I haven't made any predictions, but at this point a Conservative minority looks inevitable. I personally hope that the NDP make a strong showing, because I believe that a serious progressive presence in Parliament will keep the Cons in line.

Fortunately, it looks like we're being spared a Con majority for now. Most people seem to be predicting about 120-125 seats for the Cons, leaving them well short of a majority. The question is whether Harper has the humility that Paul Martin lacked going in to his own minority.

If I find the time, I'll be posting tomorrow. And in case it isn't obvious, I'll be voting for the NDP candidate in my riding, Paul Dewar.

No comments: