Monday, July 04, 2005

No Excuses

I was sadly remiss in blogging on Canada Day. I suppose I should have written some stirring paean to my homeland. But honestly, it was a really nice day and staying inside to blog wasn't at the top of my list of things to do. Today, on the other hand, Toronto is suffering from another in a long string of smog warnings. So blogging it is.

But I still find myself lacking anything notable to write about Canada Day. After all, it's not like it's a memorable historical occasion - all the tough work of Confederation had been done literally years before. July 1, 1867 was simply the day the British North America Act came in to effect. Don't get me wrong - woo hoo for Canada, and all that - but it's a bit hard to get emotional about it.

What more can I say about the joy that is living in Canada? We're not angels, and never have been. But by living in Canada, I automatically make the cut - I'm one of the luckiest people in the history of the world. In terms of security, income, education, and opportunities, my countrymen and I are ridiculously fortunate.

Of course, there are still jerks who don't realize exactly how lucky they are. Jonathan at Pogge has more.

Now, of course, the fourth of July is a memorable occasion - dude, it's got a Declaration and everything! I've long been a fan of Jefferson's writings, even when he was wrong. Like when he thought the invasion of Canada would be a "mere matter of marching." Tee hee. I was looking through wikiquote's page on Jefferson, and I found this little gem:
"War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses."
Gee, given certain parties' blind desire to see Iraq as a "Jeffersonian" war (cough Ignatieff cough) you'd think that quote might have some wider currency.

I do have to disagree with Greg on one point of his "I love Americans" post, however:
America is going through a rough patch right now and they were scared into making some bad leadership choices, but for all that, I wouldn't want anyone else as a neighbour.
Okay, this is not really relevant to Greg's overall post (which I largely agree with) but the Americans weren't scared in to electing Bush. They elected him in 2000 - or close enough, anyway. Certainly, he has always been seens as a legitimate choice for president - even before 9/11.

People weren't scared in to choosing stupidity - they chose stupidity because it was most comfotable. Now, they have since re-elected Bush (largely out of fear), but the original mistake of choosing an idiot to run the world wasn't because of fear at all, and giving the American people an excuse like "we were scared" only diminishes their responsibility.

Oh, and by the way - any American women who voted for Bush because of "security" are about to feel mighty stupid, now that the Supreme Court is in play. Like any half-sentient person knew it would be.

Well, it's the fourth and I don't want to end this on an anti-American note, so let me say that despite the massive problems therein, I agree with Greg's final note - I wouldn't rather any other country as neighbours. If for no other reason than much of my family either is there or hails from the US. On top of that, I'm reasonable enough to know that Canada has probably gotten a net benefit from being next to our more excitable cousins.

So Happy Fourth, Americans.

No comments: