Sunday, April 17, 2005

Go Jack!

I know some of my friends aren't his biggest fans, but I personally hope Jack Layton can capitalize on the widely-hoped-for Liberal Collapse - and he's already damn close. With all the parties so close, the NDP is only 3 points behind the Liberals, and only 9 points (9!) behind the front-runners, the Conservatives.

If things continue to go poorly, who knows? We could see a NDP-Liberal coalition. Or, if the Liberals really collapse, a NDP-Bloc coalition. Oddly, that would make more sense politically than a Conservative-Bloc "unholy alliance", but I have no idea how it would play in the NDP's rural ridings. Probably badly.

I wish I had something profound to say about the Liberals plunge in the polls, but what is there to say? They've been the governing party for more than a decade now, and Martin hasn't the charisma to weather scandal the way our guy Jean did. The writing was on the wall as early as last summer - Martin was doomed. Frankly, I've never trusted Paulie from the beginning, and certainly never voted for him. As far as I'm concerned, the only question here is whether Canada's actual left-wing party can finally capitalize on this opportunity.

I've got my fingers crossed.

No comments: