Monday, January 17, 2005

Shake Hands With The Devil

"She would tell me of the noise and fear - and hope - brought by the Allied bombers as the pounded cities and farmland in front of the Canadian Army's advance to the Rhine. She would describe the sound of transport aircraft and the sight of thousands of paratroopers filling the sky as far as the eye could see during the Allied push to Nijmegen and Arnhem. I felt her mute horror as she told me of how she and her family had watched flames engulf the centuries-old towers and graceful cathedrals that had been the landmarks of her childhood... She instilled in me a thrill of pride in Canada, a nation unthreatened by war, which had sacrificed its youth to save the worldfrom the dark power of the Nazis." -Shake Hands With The Devil, p. 12
This is from the beginning of the book, with Dallaire describing his childhood - in particular, growing up with his mother the war bride. I've just started the book, but what really impresses me is that it's not just a book I want to read - it's a book that's really very well written. I'll be posting more on it as I get through it. I don't imagine it's going to be light and fluffy.

No comments: