Monday, December 13, 2004

Working today

Now, there aren't a lot of perks to my job, but bookselling does have its fun side.

Despite the otherwise horrendously busy day that was yesterday, I had one couple who were shopping for their son. They asked for an older book - some post-apocalyptic sci-fi book which I forget the title of. Though we didn't have it, I was able to find a store that did, and was also able to sell them on A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. Which we also didn't have. Damn. In any case, any day when I get to reccomend Canticle to anyone means I've done a good job.

On the other hand, talking to Vicki later that evening can drive me insane. I have, quite possibly, asked Vicki if she would like to real Canticle every time she has come to Ottawa. I have certainly asked her if she would like to borrow it a million times (conservative estimate.) I tell her about these customers last night, and what does she say? "Gee, I should read that book. Can I borrow it?"

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Of course, I never do anything silly that ever drives friends and family insane. No no, I'm a bastion of sanity in these parts. Just so long as you don't ask anyone else to confirm that.

No comments: